Thursday, October 8, 2009

Experimenting with Direct Cash Transfers

Sanjay one of the guys on http://7days7gifts.ning.com used a nice phrase "I have adopoted a family". That set me thinking and linking with something I have been thinking for a some time

For long I have thought cash transfers were the most effective means of relief and
poverty alleviation. There are conditional transfers but they come with too much overhead

So combining this with gifting. Here is what I think. If we could identify families, preferbaly not in the cities but in some remote areas where Rs. 250-Rs.500 a month would make a difference and just get guys to adopt a family for a year to three years. The money could be sent through direct bank transfers and preferably in the name of the lady of house. It will just be a gift with the message that "there are people who care about your well being..". That in itself will give such a lot of hope to people getting this gift. It is like having another family for you in another part of India. This will clearly come with no strings attached but we can choose to identify well.

My idea is a simple direct income distribution without any moralising on how to spend the money. Just thinking I have some more family members whom I have to provide for in a limited way

Comments and suggestions invited

No comments: